Friday, February 05, 2010

Of New Decades and Leak-Free Serotonin


Recently a relative of mine said, "Getting older sucks." (I would say excuse my language, but hey, it was his language. heh)

Now, was this person 60-years old? Seventy? Eighty? Nah, he's only around 45.

Oh dear. Personally, I adored my 40's, found it the best, most joy-stuffed decade ever. But I did discover that--to keep the good times rolling--I had to keep letting God change me. Remold the old me into something fitting for a woman in her 40's.

The worst thing I can do is get stuck in a previous, gone-away decade.

You know how "Stuck Thinking" looks, don't you? You feel like you've learned all there is worth knowing (and people who disagree with you are morons). Or that you can only be happy if the sun is shining and you feel great and you have what you want and your friends and family think you're spiffy and if many people read your blog. Or that you can still eat and dress and behave like you're 29. Or that you've already lived your fun years and it's all downhill and boring and painful from here till the end.

Stuck Thinking -- scary stuff! I think there's a lot of anger, wishful thinking and disappointment in Stuck Thinking. And as I've noted here before, those things can suck the serotonin right out of your head and parachute you into depression. Don't go there, ok? I've been there and found it a horrible, dark place and I plan never to return. (Shiver.)

But to avoid that eerie place and to enjoy this new decade of mine, I plan to keep on letting God change who I am and how I live as a woman in her 50's. I'll keep reminding myself that living inside a whole new decade means accepting that I'm here, not wishing I was someplace else. And creating the atmosphere I want while I visit.

And always asking God just how I should do that.


***************************

Oh! I just now found this woman's post. I think she says all the things I forgot to say here in mine.

***************************
And here is our neighbor and her tiny daughter playing upon our frozen lake this morning. Erica brings her little girl outside on most days for fresh air and always I'm wooshed back 28 years to a young Naomi and myself outside in the snow. And always I smile and am grateful I knew days like those and they'll always be in my heart.

It's just as Laura Ingalls Wilder said: "They could not be forgotten, she thought, because now is now. It can never be a long time ago."



*****************************

"But if you humble yourself, you will be honored..." ... Matthew 23:12

3 comments:

Jan said...

As a woman more than half way through my 6th decade I find it interesting as folks bemoan growing older. I have enjoyed every decade and found lots of exciting things to do in my life.

All My Yesterdays said...

What a great post! I have been in the 'winter blues' mood lately and am fighting the sad, dark place also..I DON'T want to be there!
I agree with the "Stuck Thinking" and have avoided it pretty good..
I loved my 40's and now almost two decades later, still love being 'Grown Up' (O: Now I'll go see who you found...

Donetta said...

Lovely post dear heart