Tuesday, September 22, 2009

This was an auspicious morning for Tom and me. Why? Because this was the morning we finished watching ten years' worth of Stargate SG-1.

Hey, stop laughing. :)

Being a kid of the 60's, I grew up watching and loving many tv series and as an adult I've enjoyed my share of series shows, too. But Stargate SG-1 marched right up there to my own personal Top Favorite Five TV Series of All-Time.

I told you, stop laughing! Heh.

Tom and I had the best time watching Stargate over the past weeks. Many was the lunch we ordered-out and munched while sitting there, waving the occasional French fry and quipping, "Watch out behind you, Teal'c!" or, "Hey Tom. Have you ever realized Daniel Jackson looks like you?" or, "Get Sam in there at the controls! She can fix anything!" Tom and I hate it when people in movie theaters do the running commentary thing, but we don't mind it when we talk during shows at home. We laugh at what each other says and think ourselves quite clever.

Like I said, we sure had a good time these past few months watching those ten years' worth of Stargate SG-1. I would recommend this series to anyone, except well, do not watch the very first episode. There is nudity in that one because the writers weren't clever enough yet to figure out a nicer, more decent way to put symbiotes into people. Starting with the second episode they did figure it out and from that point on, it was a great show.

You may have noticed that Tom and I don't spend a ton of time with other couples. Oh, we do have our small circle of friends and there's our daughter and her on-again, off-again boyfriend, too. But I remember when we practically lived to collect friends and have them over and we'd try to make the house look incredible in a weekend so we could talk about it and we'd take vacations so we could talk about them when we'd get together with our friends and every one in the room would talk all at once about their home improvements and how they vacationed in Italy or Hawaii or The Grand Canyon.

Well, Tom and I never went to those kinds of places so usually we lost the Who's Gonna Win This Conversation conversations. And then our friends would leave and we'd feel like we'd never catch-up in a million years.

But now, as I said, we have fewer friends, yet there are no contests and boy, are we happier. And for these past months we've had Stargate SG-1 and all those lunches and all those memories of sitting just three feet away from each other, quipping funny lines, sometimes holding hands and usually sighing at the end of each disc, "Oh, how I wish this could go on and on forever."



**************************************



"Let your fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of your youth." ... Proverbs 5:18

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Very nice Debra !
I think we are a lot like the two of you.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

My son and I LOVE Stargate. Although we didn't get the cable channel it was on the first few years, we did get the SciFi network and watched it every day.

My daughter and I did the same thing with Babylon 5. The only thing with it is that you have to watch it from the very beginning to understand what is going on through all five years.

My husband has never figured out how someone so literary has a passion for TV science fiction.

It all started long ago in a far away galaxy called the 1960s with Kirk and Spock. :)

Judy said...

I realized how different I was from so many of my friends when I would get even more excited about a what-not purchased for a dollar than they would be over a cruise to some fabulous destination.

The key? Simple stuff with people I love makes me happy.

I'm sure that expensive stuff would too, but I just may never be able to prove that.

My husband and I are enjoying reruns of "Less than Perfect". Never saw any of the originals, but we are LOVING it in reruns.

... Paige said...

ah, love; le sigh

Lisa said...

This post makes me so happy. Sounds like a couple I know. :)

Saija said...

*smiling*
ya, it's nice to be able to spend time at home ... just cozy ...

just getting caught up on your posts ... loved the desk you found ... and isn't God just the BEST - re the books He "arranged" to be where you would be ... how cool is that! He did some arranging for me today too (i finally blogged - and about just that topic) ... He is definitely a Personal & Hands On God! not far and lofty ... YAY Lord!