Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Of Doughnuts, Drugstores and N.C.I.S.



Every once in a blue moon I must vent... let off some steam....

Don't get me wrong. I like this tv chef . She's clever, funny, a great business woman and a terrific cook.  **

But oh my. Every time I see her on the Dunkin' Donuts tv commercials I want to scream. I mean, "America runs on Dunkin'"? Are you kidding me? Isn't that our problem?? Aren't we, like, one of the most obese nations and isn't that --at least--partially because of our love affair with sugar-stuffed, corn syrup-infused desserts like doughnuts? And now "America runs on Dunkin'" is supposed to be a good thing? A good advertising slogan?

Well, don't get me started.

And now in today's headlines they're saying more Americans than ever are taking prescription drugs. Argh. First we had fast food places on every corner. Then came bakeries. Then came drugstores. At least that's what's been happening in my town. We have around 32,000 people and five drugstores, plus another one being built, plus two in-store pharmacies. (I have a feeling I'm forgetting some.) Not to mention other drugstores on the edges of our town which are technically in our sister city.

I don't know about you, but I find that odd/scary/sad.

Arghh. Again, just venting.

While I'm all riled up---and this is something totally unrelated and quite minor in the grand scale of Life---is anyone else dreading next week's episode of NCIS? Tom and I had heard rumors about a major character being killed-off, but we'd hoped those were just rumors. Yet after seeing the previews last night.........sigh...... the rumors could, sadly be legit. Ack. NCIS is the only crime show we watch regularly--we even gave up American Idol in a heartbeat when NCIS returned after the strike. We love all the characters and would absolutely hate to see any of them die.

But I know, I know.... it's just a tv show. It's not Real Life. I get that.

Sort-of. :)


*****

Update: Good news! She's gotten more into healthy eating and is no longer making those commercials. I knew there was a wise lady 'in there.'  :)

2 comments:

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

NCIS is the only prime time TV show that I follow, I just love their characters and their story lines.

It does look like they are going to "kill off" someone but I hope not.

said...

love your blog! so cute :) if you have a chance visit mine :) www.customcreationsbykan.blogspot.com