Wednesday, October 03, 2007

No Longer Trying to Be Good



No, really! I've stopped trying to be good. Why? Because it just doesn't work. For me, anyway.

When I try to be good, I am good for only a few hours. And then wham! I begin failing. I put-off paying our bills for a better(?) time-- and they get paid late. I veer off my healthy eating lifestyle (diet) and have wild cravings for all the bad stuff (and succumb). I lose my patience with people, forget to do the laundry and watch too much tv. And usually walk around with a mild day-long headache and plenty of condemnation on the side.

So now, I don't try to be good. I aim for obedience, instead.

In order to be obedient, I must listen to that still, small voice. And with that voice, comes Grace to do all the daily stuff. And wisdom to know when to do it--and what can wait. And strength and patience to see all things through to completion. And joy smack dab in the center of it all.

When I'm obedient, bills get paid on time. I stay on my diet (or awfully close to it). I nag and complain a whole lot less, the laundry gets done and I'm watching a sane amount of tv. And there is peace... a peace which passes all understanding. I'm in the right place at the right time, usually prepared with the right words, too. And did I mention I sleep better?

So today if you see a woman who is trying so very hard to be good, she won't be me.

I just thought I'd let you know.


***

"To obey is better than sacrifice..."

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

Yes, I see your point. Maybe it comes with being a redhead (well few of that color hair left now, but I WAS once...ha)...any rate, I am too frank for my own good. It is in better listening to the still small voice, as you say, that things go better. NOW, if I would pay better attention to that same small voice reminding me of things when grocery shopping, it would save gas and trips too!! Yep, I do believe HE is interested in the small things of life...HE knows we are trying to get out of debt...and part of that has to be in the small parts of life.