Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A Couple Recipes


Okay, so I've been trying to turn Tom and I into part-time organic vegetarians. I admit it.

And so far it's going pretty well (Tom hasn't complained much), though with variety being the spice of life (and all that) I need to add a few new recipes to my repertoire.

But I thought I'd share a couple of my main dish skillet ideas.... No exact measurements, though, because lately I've not used any. I just chop and toss and add until whatever I'm creating looks right.

What am I talking about? Well, all-in-one easy dishes like this, made from all organic ingredients:

Pretty much all my skillet meals begin with a tablespoon of oil (or so) in the pan, then I top it with rings from 3/4 of a large onion, a couple cloves of garlic and some frozen vegetables (1 cup?). I heat that awhile and then I might add:

a cup-and-a-half of short grain brown rice, already cooked
a can of black beans
fresh tomatoes, sliced (or half a can of diced)
Italian spice mix to taste

I heat those together and when they're nearly 'ready' I sprinkle frozen diced spinach (1 1/2 cups?) over the whole thing, then some thinly sliced mild cheddar and a little more Italian spice. Then I cover with a lid and turn the heat way down for a couple minutes (no stirring allowed...think layers), then turn it off and just let the spinach and cheese heat slowly. I might add 3 tbl.'s, or so, of salsa, too.

That's a variation of many similar meal-in-one dishes I've made lately.

Another variation?

I start with the onions, garlic and a few vegetables, I heat them together, then I add 3 thinly sliced potatoes (with skins on), Italian spice blend and cook, covered, until potatoes are tender. Then I add frozen spinach on top, then spread canned or fresh sliced tomatoes and then sliced cheese and spices. As before, I heat a couple minutes, covered, and then turn off the heat and just let the spinach, tomatoes and cheese heat through.

Technically? I hate spinach. But I love it when I use it in dishes like the ones above or in something like lasagna. I also use diced broccoli in lieu of the spinach. And I love how both broccoli and spinach are so healthy, especially since I'm not cooking the life out of them, but just letting them lay on top of whatever I'm making.

And there you go.

1 comment:

Pearl said...

Thanks for the recipe. Sounds quick easy and yummy. Easy is my middle name:)