Sunday, September 16, 2007

Christmas Anytime You'd Like


Are any of you still decluttering your home? If so, this is for you. And for me too, certainly.

So this whole entire year I've been decluttering our house in anticipation of a possible move far, far away (as if you didn't already know that). When I began, I had approximately 600 books, down from at least 900 from previous times and years. Over and over I've weeded through my remaining books, holding each one in my hand, deciding its fate. Will it stay or go? Some books survived the first five cuts only to be cut during the sixth Great Weeding Of Books.

Somewhere I discovered an easier way to release not just my books, but pieces of furniture, dishes and various and sundry knick-knacks. The secret? I stay in a type of Christmas spirit. If I'm holding something I find neither beautiful or useful (as Willie Morris would instruct), I tell myself that someone 'out there' would love to come across this book/dish/painting/chair/soap dish/fake flower/purple sweater and fluorescent pink shoes at Salvation Army. Somebody Somewhere would be tickled by this kool-aid cup more than I am. Somebody would drive away from Salvation Army feeling as though their Day Was Made because they bought one of my collectible books for cheap.

And Somebody Somewhere just might consider that orange and brown crocheted afghan I've had in our blanket chest for eons a real-live answer to prayer.

After all, I know how often I've driven away from Salvation Army feeling all of the above.

So instead of viewing decluttering as a necessary evil or a good-for-me discipline, now I see it as a type of Christmas Anytime Of The Year. Anytime I wish, I can fling away to the wind and the world that which is cluttering my life while on this road to simplicity. Anytime I wish, I can give things away and release their annoying, mystic grasp upon me... and make someones day while lightening my load.

And that is turning this whole ordeal into just a plain good deal, instead. For me and for people I will never meet.


***

"Every man according as he purposes in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loves a cheerful giver." ... 2 Corinthians 9:7

7 comments:

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

My daughter and I do the same thing. :)

I remember her telling me earlier this year that she gave a very nice collection to Goodwill (keeping only her very favorites).

As she packed them in a box, she thought of the look on the person's face who came across them at a price she could afford.

I need to go through my books, too. I've had two big cuts due to moving. Now I need to get even more serious and hopefully come up with a couple of boxes for the next library sale.

Lisa said...

I haven't been here in so long! You are still just as awesome. (I'm working full-time now so blog time is limited).

I've moved to the part of town which your walking pictures always reminded me of; a part of town I've always loved. It was fun going back and looking at them, knowing that I am surrounded by similar sights.

Me said...

The other thing I tell myself when I return something to the thrift circulation is that if I really have need of it again - I will find another one at the thrift store just as I did the first time.

It feels good to keep blessings in circulation.

violet said...

What a great mindset for decluttering. Even though I've just moved, I've still kept too much and want to declutter more. Thinking these Christmas thoughts will make it much easier. Thank you!

salina said...

Hello Debra,
I'm here to let you know that i'm passing on the Nice Matters Award on to you.

The awards "official definition":

"This award is for those bloggers who are nice people; good blog friends and those who inspire good feelings and inspiration. Also for those who are a positive influence on our blogging world. Once you’ve been awarded please pass it on to 4 others who you feel are deserving of this award."

Valerie - Still Riding said...

As I have passed on stuff I think of it as finding the proper owner.

For the books I remember that they started public libraries for a good reason - so I don't have to dust!

Maggie Ann said...

Thats a great way to look at de-cluttering. Its hard though...for me. Books are the hardest to part with I think, and I know I'll never live long enough to enjoy them ALL again...grin.