Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Choosing Over "I Can't Help It"


So I'm getting our house ready to sell...cleaning, washing and painting, even. And it keeps coming to me that this is one of those times.

One of those times when I can choose my reactions to my circumstances, my situations and even the results of my own procrastinations(which are usually varied and sundry).

Your whole life changes when you realize you are the queen of your own emotions (or that you can be, anyway). You can choose to be upset and worried and a mess when everyone else you know would also be upset and worried and a mess if they had your problems.

Or not. As in, you can choose to remain calm. You can choose to pray--and then not worry after you have prayed. You can choose to put into practice all those thousands of sermons you sat through at church.

With God's help, you can act nice, when you'd rather slap somebody.
You can forgive and let go, even when you feel you have a right to stay angry and hold on.

You can. Or you can choose to be and act like people who don't even know God exists. And go with the flow (and probably end up downstream with a bunch of other people who are floating around all upset and fearful and biting their nails and munching stomach pills).

Well, anyway, these are my thoughts today, this is my lecture to myself.

This is what I have learned.

7 comments:

~Jennifer said...

I'm still learning to master the art of choosing which way to react to a given situation. It's funny, but when it's someone else who is relying on me, I always choose to remain calm, for them, but when I am the one in need, it's harder for me to choose calm. When everyone else is falling apart I am the one who steps in and calmly handles things, but I haven't yet decided to choose that for myself. Or I have figured out how to do that exactly. I suppose it takes practice.

Anonymous said...

Hi Debra,
I loved your thoughts on controlling our reactions. I still need work on that, for sure!

I hope that I didn't squash your enthusiasm for moving to Richmond too much. I do hope that you two find a lovely home in a great area. Think of how much less snow you'll be getting!

I really enjoy reading your blog.
Cindy

Elizabeth said...

Understood...in my experience, moving and getting a house ready to sell is one of the hardest times!! Not the worst, but close enough! Blessings on you...am learning more about staying quiet and watching what GOD does in situations in my life too. Well, we are still here, so still supposed to be learning, right?

Anvilcloud said...

Choices about how we think and act are what we're all about.

Judy said...

Truer words were never written.

I'm still learning.

There remain a few people I would still like to slap.

Valerie - Still Riding said...

Well! That squashed my pity party!

Thanks, Debra!

Dapoppins said...

yeah, you can choose. I choose never, ever to move again. But if I had too, I will remember this post. Have I told you that I don't like change?