Monday, July 30, 2007

Organic Update and a Recipe


I thought both my men and women readers might appreciate hearing how Tom feels about this total switching over to all organic foods and no longer using a microwave. (We all know that the average man can be as suspicious of new foods and ideas as the average child.)

Mostly? Tom loves the whole organic thing. We've both noticed that organic, on the most part, tastes better. More like food we remember eating as children. Gotta love that.

And as for foods heated on the stove rather than the microwave? Tom says he's noticed a big difference there, too, and he even has stopped using the microwave at work to heat his lunches and uses the toaster oven, instead. (He would use the stove top, but upstairs in the control room where he spends most of his time, there is no stove.)

And so far we've run into only one organic food which Tom did not like, a certain brand of raisin bran. But alas! I told him I'd simply use the remainder of the box's contents for cookies.

So that brings us to the aforementioned recipe. Since I couldn't find a recipe for Raisin Bran cookies in my cookbooks (and I was in too much of a hurry to search online), I greatly tweaked a recipe for butterscotch brownies. And how did the first batch of my newly-christened Raisin Bran Bars come out?

We loved them. Yummm.... What a pleasant surprise! So with no guarantees that you will like them as much as we did, I will, with fear and trembling, include my tweaked recipe here:

Raisin Bran Bars


3 tbl. brown sugar
1 packet Stevia
1/4 cup oil (or half oil, half applesauce)
1 egg
1/2 tsp. butter (or butter flavoring)
2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup raisin bran

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Oil 8-inch square baking pan. In large bowl, cream sugar and oil. Add egg and extracts (or butter). Blend well.
Over a dish, sift flour, baking powder and spices. Add to oil mixture and mix well. Stir in raisin bran.
Spread into prepared pan (may not reach to all sides. That's ok). Bake 20 minutes. Cool slightly and cut into bars.

2 comments:

R said...

Tom takes your advice even at work?!!

Unheard of!!!

That makes me laugh...

Ann said...

Thanks for all your post on this subject. My oldest daughter Sara is trying to do the organic thing to help herself feel better. She's not specifically been diagnosed with fibromyalga or chronic fatigue syndrome but she has all the symptoms. So she is trying to eat healtier and possibly pinpoint her problems to the food she eats. I've been enjoying reading your post and getting suggestions for her. She loves the organic milk the most. So thanks Debra!