Thursday, May 31, 2007


"A man's mind plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps and makes them sure." Proverbs 16:9

Actually I believe God loves to switch things around and keep us, well, maybe not guessing, but rather, leaning, listening and depending upon Him.

Some people believe the best, most-desirable thing in Life is figuring-out, reasoning-out, the things they're curious to know... and being rather proud of their intelligent heads for that ability.

I am not one of those people. No, I've no desire to think and reason and figure better and faster and more often.

My desire is to become an expert listener... a real-live leaner-on-God... one who relies more (and more quickly) upon the best director of my steps. I could spend 80 years becoming a professional at figuring everything out and using my mind to its full (or nearly so) potential--but even afterward--I'd still never be anywhere close to the wisdom God has.... And I'd still never know my future the way He knows it this moment--and helps me prepare today, even though my head doesn't understand just what it's preparing for.

No, I don't care how many people will shake their heads after reading this, feel pity for me--someone who doesn't get high on reasoning--and then click away one last time to discover a more intellectual-type blog.

Instead, I care that I become a better listener and 'obeyer' of the One who knows the exact way I should go. The One who asks that I obey Him even when what He asks makes no sense to my own brain. Too often my head gets in the way--talks me out of doing the seemingly wild request God is making--and I've watched too many miracles sweep past me, thus creating regrets. (For a tiny example, click here.)

God's ways are not mine--yet they can be! But only after I listen and obey... only after I learn to recognize that still, small voice in the first place.

***

A special thanks to Jennifer for inspiring this post with her comment to my last post. Jennifer--I didn't think that strange at all--it happens to me all the time so that I'll stay pliable and ready to set aside my plans for His any hour of the day.

No comments: