Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Straying Nowhere Near Confusion


"For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace..." ... 1 Corinthians 14:33

Now, there's a great verse! It's been waving at me lately while Tom and I are searching online for a house to buy.

I mean, our Richmond realtor emails these great lists of houses for sale, ones with outdoor photos and sometimes with inside ones, also--sooo much better than driving through wild traffic and then trudging through houses which are all-wrong. And well, one day I'm all, "Oh! I want that huge old Italian-villa-like place." But then next day it's, "No! Now I want that adorable minuscule white cottage," followed hours later by, "Hmmm, that Cape Cod house would be terrific!"

And now, for the past two mornings to help me wake-up (I'm not used to all this painting and moving junk up and down the stairs), I've watched a couple episodes of the old Leave It To Beaver show, and well, guess what kind of house I want now? Yep, a June Cleaver house. A house like that would make it even easier to pretend I am her.

(Can you see where I'm going with this?)

The simplest, easiest way to act and feel in all this is, well, confused. And pressured. I could make myself crazy and then try to analyze my desires and ask myself all sorts of questions (why? why? why?) and just get dizzy and sick of the whole process...

...or...

I can calmly sort through houses, dreaming peacefully, trusting that when I see the one God wants for us --poof!-- He will nudge and point.

If I want peace, I've got to stay far from the borders of confusion. I cannot have both, for they will not coexist.

Tom and I try to listen to God's voice in the small, daily stuff, so in a huge things like this, we believe He certainly won't hide and leave us to ourselves. Oh my, no... if left to ourselves, we are sunk.

The main thing is to not over-think, over-analyze, over-worry this thing. Or any other thing, for that matter.

The main thing is to listen.

No comments: