Saturday, March 24, 2007

Where Do You Go First?


"Seek ye first... Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.]

Where do you go first? When you're hurting or are stressed or confused or lonely, I mean.

For years I went first to Tom or to friends or the phone or stores or the movies and I've been seen walking down to this basement--first--to the computer, doing searches of all kinds to ease and relieve and refresh my soul (I haven't googled the website which does that yet).

The shocking truth? Going first to all those places only makes me feel worse. More restless or sad or just more whatever.

God's heart is blessed when I race to Him first, not just in bad times, either, but in giddy times, too, when I'm dancing in gratitude... He loves it when running to Him is the first thing popping into my mind. I love it, too.

And here's where I go all controversial on you, but hang in there...

I never tell this to my friends, nor do I write it in this blog: "If you need a friend, you can always count on me anytime." Why won't I say that? Because you can't. Count on me, that is. It's impossible for me to always be here for you with perfect, timely words and compassion enough to ease your pain or clear-up your confusion. Never can I be that 24/7-ish, nor all that comforting.

That's not even my goal(!) No, my goal is this: to inspire you to seek God first. To make you desire His friendship and yearn to walk around with Him--not just in terrible, stressful times, either--but in all the average moments of your ordinary days.

And yes, God speaks through people and touches us through our friends and loved ones and books and even, yes, blogs. And I agree that He can direct us to others for additional, specific help.

But always--always--He wants to be the first place we go to be touched and healed and cheered-up. The first friend we run to in bad times--and in terrific, memorable times, as well. He desires to be shared and shared with--but always first.

And that's all I'm saying.

No comments: