Monday, March 05, 2007

Still Learning to Keep Peace Around


I totally understand the term 'the bird of peace' (or dove) because it's easy to glimpse a bird, but much harder to keep it from flying away.

Back in 1994 God gave me a glimpse of peace (such a long, long story), and He's spent all these years since then showing me how to hold onto such a flighty bird.

He began tapping my shoulder and saying, "Look--quick! Peace just flew out the window again." Over and over... and big surprise! Peace fluttered away when I stayed upset with Tom for hours. Oh, not mad in a screaming sort of way (too obvious), but in a simmering-on-the-back-burner kind of way.

And Peace positively zoomed away--with a desperate look in his eyes-- when I'd stand at the windows worrying about Naomi because she was out driving her car who-knew-where on the way to meet who-knew-whom.

And whether at home or church or inside a car with a friend, I'd watch Peace flutter madly out windows when I'd insist--aloud or silently--that I was (always) right, discussing pointless points ... when I formed and polished opinions about absolutely everything... when I could not extend a patient mercy toward those who believed differently than I do...

... or when I was tolerant (and silent) of and about my own mistakes, but vocal about other people's... or when I worried about money and God's provision... and prayed, not for God's truth to be seen by others, but my own understanding of truth to light their poor blind eyes.

You watch Peace blast through a whole lot of windows when you live like that. It's always sad to watch him go--but it's even sadder when he leaves, but you have no clue as to why... never realizing it's Pride and Fear who fling him away...

... and it's Humility who keeps Peace near.


***
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." ...John 14:27

No comments: