Monday, March 05, 2007

The Soundtrack of My Depression Years


What fun. Today I found, online in its entirety, the song I played over and over during the years of my depression in Nevada (do not try this at home)... the song I played in the tape deck of our little white 1986 Acura while driving alone through the desert roads, wiping away tears born of a horrible, pathetic attitude... the song which became the soundtrack of my days and fed my depression, making it just plain fat with self-pity.

I simply must share it with you. I mean, Bob Bennett has the most amazing voice, and the tune of this song is, well, mesmerizing. But the words... oh my, the words! They were like little sticks fed into the flames of my great despondency. (Be sure to scroll down and read them on the right half of your screen, above the little gif. figure crashing his head against the wall.)

So here it is (turn up your speakers.)... And I share it only so you can celebrate that God rescued me from the dire place I sank down into back in 1991.... And if you, yourself, are in your own depression years, I'm here to remind you your freedom may come suddenly... always, it may be as close as your next breath.


***
Psalm 40:2
"He brought me up also out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."


The above photo is of Highway 50, The Loneliest Road in America... The main drag of the Nevada town where we used to live. Oh dear.

No comments: