Sunday, February 18, 2007

Free? Or Something Else?


"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." ... John 8:36

I know tons and tons of Christians. I think only 10 are free. Okay, maybe 15.

I know, it can be hard to be free!

I mean, when you grade yourself every night as to how much of the Bible you obeyed that day and you just didn't earn enough gold stars for your Progress Chart...

... and when you allow yourself to feel good only when you've been good (and we all know how often that happens)...

... and when you hate yourself when you mess-up and make promises that you'll do better next time...

... and when you're addicted to reasoning and logic and must figure-out what God is doing/not doing (good luck with that) before you can relax and just go to sleep...

... and when you want to know exactly where your step of faith will take you before you take it...

... and when you're praying that everybody in your life will change so that you can be happy--and those silly, stubborn folks just are not changing!...

... and when you believe you've done what God wanted you to, but it turned out differently than you'd imagined, so now you kick yourself (ouch) and second-guess everything you did...

...and well, yes, it's hard to be free sometimes, isn't it? Been there, done that.

That is, until I just gave-up all that trying and trying and trying to be good. Yes, I just gave-up(!) trying to be perfect. I gave-up so God could finally--finally--start doing things through me since only He knows what He wants and how He wants it done.

It was all my trying (and self, self, self) which was clogging this very un-empty vessel, keeping me too busy, too frustrated, too pathetic to be free.

There's a better way. The way of emptiness... the way of letting God make changes... the way of joy... the way of freedom... And I hope you'll never let anyone convince you otherwise.


***

"Nehemiah said, "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is sacred to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength." ... Nehemiah 8:10

No comments: