Sunday, January 21, 2007

Creating Memorable Meantime Days


Meantime Days.

You know what those are, don't you? They're the in between days... the days between wanting something and receiving it. Days in the middle of craving and actually getting what you craved....

...days (usually stretching into years) which usually crawl because they're so fat with complaints and impatience.

And so for me, the trick will always--always--be creating remarkable Meantime Days so that, at the end of my journey's lane, I can gaze back and see one long string of days like gleaming-white pearls, with only a few tiny gaps along the string.

Right now I am living in major, major Meantime Days.

Right now there's a chance I'll be packing up all our junk, er, possessions... selling this house I've loved for almost 14 years... and moving three states away from our daughter who we'll be leaving behind for the first time--ever.

Or not.

I mean, who really knows for sure? By the end of this month we'll know a little more, but what about in the meantime? Do I just sit here waiting and complaining? Complaining that finally, I've grown tired of seeing all the same houses, the same trees, the same stores thousands of times already? Do I just whine about having no new places to go and nothing new to see? Do I moan about this growing claustrophobic feeling I have--like a piece of American cheese squished between two slices of bread--the one which comes when I think about how closely our house is squeezed in between two other houses?

Do I just complain about how long it's taking to find out for certain whether Tom will take this new job?

No, that's the easy way out. Complaining is as simple as floating downstream in a big boat with a bunch of other Whiners and Moaners. Floating with a current is easy. Anyone can do that. I want to swim upstream. The good stuff is ahead for people willing to swim upstream... hard, consistently... even when no one else is watching.

Instead, I'll continue to create memorable Meantime Days. I'll choose to thumb through my favorite memories of having lived in one house so long--all the decorating and sprucing-up and entertaining and just plain living I have done in here and outside in our tiny yard and upon our tinier porch...

... and while I am flinging away my collections of another season, I'll picture in my mind the kind of house I'd rather have next and its larger, sunnier yard (where, I'm planning gardens in my head already)...

...I'll repaint some of these walls here, mixing gratitude with the paint and recalling the joy-filled times they've watched us have. And simultaneously, I'll choose the colors for the walls of my next house... and how I'll arrange the furniture differently there... and the new friends I'll entertain...

... and I'll keep going like that...I'll do what needs to be done here with joy by following Grace around during these Meantime Days because Grace always knows the right thing to do, at the right time along with the right amount of energy... and she makes any day a good one...

...and I can't help but believe that--when I get to Heaven--the way I lived all my Meantime Days between birth and death, well, I believe it will matter. I believe it matters that I not just lay on couches waiting, twiddling my thumbs, dreaming and speaking only of A Better Day in the sweet by and by...

...but instead, that I create some pretty awesome, amazing Meantime Days--in the meantime.

No comments: