Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Peace Game


You probably have children's games in a closet or cupboard... ones which were designed to be educational for your children.

Well, these past few days, my own Father (God) has kept quite the educational game going for me. It's called The Peace Game.

In The Peace Game, you pick up a bag of peace on the first square. The object of the game then becomes to not drop or lose your bag of peace while stepping down the paths of the other squares. The object is to reach the end while still holding your little bag of peace, having dropped it as few times as possible.

I've been doing so-so.

Yesterday I worried about Tom taking this trip to Richmond on Friday and God said, "Uh-oh! You worried and dropped your peace. Take two steps backward."

Darn.

Earlier, I obeyed the little voice which said, "You should worry about Naomi driving through that crazy traffic to her new job." Of course, God saw that and responded, "Oops! For that you'll have to go all the way back to Start and pick up your bag of peace. I've told you for years not to worry about Naomi... to put her in My hands." (Not to mention the times I gave into temptations to feel offended, all over again, about old hurts, snubs and thoughtless words.)

A few times, though, I recognized the temptation to worry or to not forgive, but I just smiled and refused to walk off the path without peace.

And that's pretty much been the way it's gone. Stop. Start. Go back. Move forward. Step back. Move forward. A little worry about losing my readers, here, while God's got me in this peace game, a few steps backward, there, to retrieve my peace. A little worry about getting this house ready to sell and possibly having to pick up Tom at midnight at the airport and worrying when Tom still mentions that the best job still would be in California and having to deal with offences old and new, and well, there's been lots of stepping backward to retrieve my peace on the squares where I dropped it. Lots of stepping back. Sigh.

Except that The Peace Game isn't really a game at all. For me, it's Real Life. For me, it's part of this new season God has me in, a season where the goal is to get me to walk through Life with a greater awareness of His presence and protection... a greater sense of His peace every single minute of my days.

And you know, truth be told, I love this game. Personally, I don't want to spend my life upset, offended, worried and afraid. And I'm anticipating the day when I'll hold tightly to His peace wherever I may go... the day when my serenity remains on the inside, even if all bedlam is going on outside.


***

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

No comments: