Monday, November 06, 2006

Of Being Opposite


I've told you before that I've always felt different than most people. One might even say Opposite Everything Considered Normal.

For instance, I love Mondays.

Mondays feel like a new beginning, almost like January 1st. New Year's Day. And how marvelous to get a January 1st every week! Mondays give me a second chance to get the week right this time... to make new promises... to fulfill new goals. To drive to the supermarket on Monday mornings and get the wide, gleaming aisles all to myself. (Love that.)

But Saturdays... Oh my. When I was 17, I decided I did not like Saturdays (I could take you to the very spot I decided that, but we'd have to fly to California).

("What? You don't like Saturdays?", you are asking. I hear you.) No, Saturdays are too unstructured for me. There is no pattern to Saturdays. Yes, I should create a pattern if it makes me more comfortable, and well, you'd think after 30 years I could do that.

Yet I have done one thing about Saturdays. I've made them my day of rest (gasp!). And yes, there again, that makes me opposite of nearly everyone I know-- all those people who passionately believe only Sunday should be a day of rest.

What are you gonna do with a person like me?

I mean, last night I thought about how much I am loving this empty nest phase of my life. Tom was away working graveyard shift and well, I confess, I was up in my tower room having another slumber party with my cats. Yes, Lennon, McCartney and I played snatch-the-string. We ate snacks and drank water. We watched Jack Benny and giggled and we watched The Waltons and cried. I'd tell you we curled each other's hair--except I'd be lying. (Though, come to think of it, McCartney has long hair and she'd look adorable in pin curls.)

Secretly, deep down inside, I've always loved being opposite, I guess, even though it has never won me many friends. Just the opposite. But it's kept me out of trouble and often walking down quiet, uncrowded roads. But the older I become, the more I feel and experience the friendship of the best Friend upon this Earth. The One who makes ordinary days special, the One for whom I get out of bed, the One who can make any day an extraordinary one.

Even Saturdays.


***
P.S. Something else which always made me opposite from friends... As a teenager I began reading old teen romance books from the 1940's - 1960's when everyone else laughed at how old-fashioned they were (I was a teen in the 70's). One of my favorite authors from that genre was Rosamond du Jardin and for years I have enjoyed this website dedicated to her. For those of you who like old-fashioned things, you may especially enjoy the descriptions of clothes and food from the books. (Check the left-hand column.)

No comments: