Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Hospital Room


I'll bet you didn't know I have my own hospital room, one always on reserve for anytime I need it.

Well, in a way.

This Life, for any of us, comes with varied and many hurts and injuries and I remember the years when I tried to heal myself. I'd run to books or friends or movies or teaching tapes and after awhile, I'd find that I felt better... I felt a healing begin like stitches being taken in my heart.

And I believed it was the books or friends or movies or teaching tapes which had healed that heart. But now I realize they, instead, only helped me change my negative, offended mind and atiitude so that God, the Great Healer, could release His own warm, healing balm and fix what others, or I, had broken.

We nod our heads and repeat like parrots that nothing is too hard for God, but I think it's pretty hard for Him to heal my heart if what I believe is, "God doesn't heal people today." ...

... or, "God is mad at me and has left me."

... or, "This pain is too great for even God to handle."

... or, "I deserve to stay mad," or "I don't deserve forgiveness or healing."

... or, "This is just the pain I'll have to live with for the rest of my life."

No instead, this is the kind of stuff I take with me to my always-on-reserve hospital room (which is conveniently located upstairs in my house) and it's there that I let God take it all away--to where, I don't know, or care. And because I've walked upstairs in faith, because I've come to the Great Healer to fix what has been broken, because I realize how helpless I am to heal myself--God, in His mercy heals me.

Oh, not always right away. But always, I know the healing will come--eventually. There's one thing I've noticed about God--He's pretty big about this Faith thing. I've noticed it blesses His heart to watch me walk into that hospital room with all faith that only He can heal my broken, aching parts, restore me to wholeness and make Life look and feel good again.

But you've probably already noticed that, too.


***
"For this people's heart has become calloused;
they hardly hear with their ears,
and they have closed their eyes.
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
hear with their ears,
understand with their hearts
and turn, and I would heal them.'" ... Acts 28:27

No comments: