Monday, October 30, 2006

Sometimes You Just Have to Laugh...


Now, don't get me wrong. Most days, I really appreciate God's sense of humor. Honest I do.

But for years there's been one area where, what He probably meant as funny, well, I haven't found funny really at all.

It's the area of, well, my daughter and her tendency to believe the worst, find the worst, look for the worst and expect the worst.

Good grief.

And well, I can just hear you giggling... Yes, I'll just bet you can see the humor in that can't you? Me, Mrs. Pollyanna, giving birth 26 years ago to a little thunderous, frowning, dark rain cloud, also known as Naomi.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Naomi dropped over here on Friday and the three of us just talked about tv shows and all went well. There was peace. Blessed peace. Whew.

Then she came over today and we started talking about tv shows again, and once more, there was peace. But she stayed longer this time. Uh-oh. I got nervous. You see, stretch out a visit with Naomi too long and well, the odds go up and up and up by the second--tick, tick, tick--and most likely, some negative subject is going to enter the arena.... And if it does, Debra will try to bring out the silver lining of that subject.... and then Naomi will insist there is no silver lining and that Debra knows nothing about the real world. And then both Naomi and Debra will state their cases simultaneously, neither person will really listen to the other... and then Naomi will say she's had enough and she'll walk out the door, leaving a sad pall over our house.

I hate it when that happens. It happened again today. Another episode of Mrs. Pollyanna meets Miss I Hate America.

Argh.

Normally, I wouldn't share that, and yet I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm having some perfect la-de-da, pie-in-the-sky life over here, which I confess (being Mrs. Pollyanna) I do sometimes give that impression. Mostly, because I've become rather adept at thinking about, concentrating upon, good and lovely and right things.

So for the record, I just wanted you to know the way things often are. The way they have often been for, oh, say, the last 6 years, especially.

But I also want you to know that God is so amazing that, when I choose to forgive, He fills me with 'anyway joy,' .... joy which comes and stays anyway, even when the circumstances are far from joyful. 'Anyway joy' amazes me.

And I don't know what I would do without Him.... even though, like I said, sometimes His sense of humor leaves a little bit to be desired.

No comments: