Saturday, August 26, 2006

In The Fullness of Time...


"And in process of time it came to pass..." Genesis 4:3

The natural way (i.e. my way) is to want everything now... to be able to do everything now... to have and see and experience everything now.

When I learned that God's ways certainly weren't my ways, well, I began to relax (after the initial shock, of course).

And I began to watch my life, almost like standing back away from it, and I watched what took place...

... how, when I wanted something so badly that I was consumed by thoughts of it, generally, I never got it.

... and how, when I thought I was way more than ready for more responsibility/ministry/money, I wasn't even close. I was, instead, illustrating that I didn't believe in process... in waiting... in learning...

And so it went. I learned a lot by standing back and watching myself, so to speak.

But I learned more from stepping back and watching God.

... how He only gave me things when I was truly ready to receive them... when they wouldn't steal my heart away from Him.

... how He only gave me a ministry after He'd worked on my mouth and could now trust me not to blow people away by an extreme lack of tact.

... how He could only reward me with more when I'd properly handled less... when I'd learned about process, first.

And so it went.

"in the process of time, it came to pass...
in the fullness of time, it came to pass..."

I can handle that now.

Everyone else may have everything already, but I'm not going to miss out on anything if I have to wait awhile to have it. Quite the contrary. The less I kick and yell and want anything more than I want God, the quicker He'll be able to give me what He's wanted to give me all along--but couldn't, because I would have ruined it...

... and the more appreciated it will be... and the more responsibly I'll be able to handle whatever it is.

And so it goes.

No comments: