Monday, July 24, 2006

My Dream House-- In Pictures


(If Blogger was working correctly, you wouldn't have to click on the photos to enlarge... sigh...)

***

Remember those notebooks full of decorating magazine photos I told you I make? Well, I looked through some of them this morning and--all on paper--I put together part of my dream house.

When you see the pictures, some of you will be horrified.

And frankly, I won't blame you. I look at some peoples' dream houses and I am horrified, too.

But here's what shocked me most about the pictures I chose to represent my idea of a dream house: My present house looks so little like these pictures. Maybe my dressing table closet does, and our sunroom corner, our library (at night) and our kitchen--in some ways, they reflect what I love most...



I have my excuses, of course. Mostly I blame it on Tom. You know how he's been talking about this new job in CA? Well, every couple of years (or less) he starts talking about moving somewhere else. And about getting this house ready to sell... about making it so that other people will want to buy it.


And well, not many other people (beside me) would want to buy a house which looked like the one I've pictured in my head. A style I would probably call Modern Big and Scarey...


Nah... of course, it's my own fault. Many times I've talked myself out of buying what I loved because it cost a couple dollars more than I wanted to pay... or I just played it too safe with paint or fabric or my whole imagination. And as I think about all this, it comes to me that it's all too like a person looking backward and realizing they were afraid to live their 'real life' because of what other people might say. And, always, that is sad.




What's really wildly strange is that out of all the hundreds and hundreds of pictures I've placed in my notebooks the past 20 years, these that I picked today resemble the rooms I imagined I wanted while I was still a teenager. After all these many years it appears I still want the same kind of house decorated in the same kind of way that I imagined in my 17-year-old head.



Wow.



And so maybe you can better understand now why I want our next house not to be in a modern town... and not to be one we would own for just two years. I'd like a house we can really settle in.... create in.... and make a nest in for ourselves and for our bed-and-breakfast inn guests, too... (a long-held dream, that bed-and-breakfast...)



Without having to worry how the next buyers will like it.


***

More pictures...

This would be the back porch...


Our shed would be a guest house...

And would look like this inside...


Our house and yard would be fields away from other people...


I'd have a clothesline (but not an ocean...)

And I'd look like this on days I'd go to the beach....




***
P.S. Update... As I told Linda in my comment box: "As I'm walking around my house this morning I'm finding more corners than I thought I had which reflect the real me... I think what I'm really wanting to do now is spread out from just the corners to all the walls and the middle of the rooms, too!" ..............
............. (Lest you think I'm totally discontented with my own house. Alas, I'm not.)

No comments: