Friday, April 14, 2006

Wisdom--A Big Deal?


"Above all and before all, do this: Get Wisdom! Write this at the top of your list: Get Understanding!" Proverbs 4:7

When I was young (and stupid), I used to wonder why wisdom was considered such a big deal. Boy, oh boy... Now that I am old--, uh, more experienced, I see what all the fuss was about.

Without wisdom, I'll buy things I cannot afford
and be haunted by bills I cannot pay
and then lose sleep and grow old (and ill) before my time.

Without wisdom I'll refuse to believe I can't eat the way I used to
and that I'll get by fine without exercising,
and then I'll keep gaining weight each year
and then my back will start hurting
and then who knows what else will happen because of the stress of the added weight?

Without wisdom I'll find myself often in the wrong places at the wrong time
and needlessly put myself in embarrassing/compromising or even dangerous situations.

I'll choose friends (or jobs or cars or houses) I should never have chosen
and spend years paying the (painful) price.

Without wisdom I'll cling to things God got finished with years ago,
rather like riding proverbial dead horses (going no place).
I'll move-on when I should have stayed
or I'll stay when I should have moved-on.

I'll put things off until it is too late
and people have died or opportunities have passed by forever
or I'll have to pay late charges (lots).

Without wisdom I'll say things I'll regret
or leave important words left unsaid
or speak too soon, changing whole routes my life could have taken.
I'll make assumptions without having facts
and believe anything I hear.

And on it goes to infinity.

Like I said, the older I get, the more I understand all the fuss about wisdom. When something can improve your life and even save it, it's worth a little noise and a few sermons, too.

No comments: