Sunday, April 02, 2006

When People Bail Out of the Bus


I just finished reading this post, End of the Road... I encourage you to read her post first before you read mine, but if you don't have that kind of time, here is the crux of it:

Of course, there is a possibility that it's maybe not so much Jesus as it is his followers (or like we used to say here in NASCAR country, it's not that I hate Dale Earnhardt, it's Dale Earnhardt fans I can't stand). Lately there have been an awful lot of folks loudly proclaiming to know and love Jesus who, if they really did, would be ashamed of themselves for the way they've behaved (yes, I'm talking to you, Shrub). Maybe this is just a generalized disgust with way too many so-called Christians, disguising itself as a loss of belief in Christ. But I don't think so.

So as 2003 was the year I lost my daddy, 2004 is the year I broke-up with Jesus. It was an amicable break-up; we're still friends and we may even get back together, if his nasty friends stay out of our way.


Since I am rather old and have been a Christian since, like, before McDonalds was even invented, I already know exactly what you are thinking:

"Hey, it wasn't me. I don't even know that girl."
"That's just an over-used excuse."
"Blaming others is the easy way out."
"Can I help it if she bailed? I could've quit a million times, myself."
"We all make mistakes in how we treat others. Nobody's perfect, you know."
"That shows a lack of commitment on her part, not mine."
"That's her own fault and someday she will see that."

I know... I know...

But.

Jesus said, "It would be better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones." (Luke 17:2)
And He tells us if we have not love, we are nothing... just a bunch of noise....
And He said be ye holy......
and take the log out of your own eye...
and judge not lest you be judged...
and we'll be held accountable for every idle word....

...and ... and stop me before I say more...

Yes, some people do use our bad behavior as an excuse to break-up with Jesus. But wouldn't it be great if we'd behave ourselves, at least enough, to remove all legitimate grounds for their excuses?

Maybe if we'd give-up our own agendas, that wouldn't be nearly as hard as we think.

We might even become someone's reason to stay inside the bus just a little while longer, rather than their excuse to get out.

No comments: