Thursday, April 27, 2006

Those Little People On Your Shoulders


You know how on tv they sometimes show someone with tiny good and evil versions of themselves standing upon their shoulders? And how both those mini-version-people argue back and forth about what the big person in the middle should do, be it good or evil?

Well, I've been thinking about those little people... how I probably have them sitting on my shoulders, too.

And you know? I'm thinking of starving the little evil twin and feeding the little good twin so that she can become the healthier, wiser, more robust one.

So look out little evil twin girl... I am aiming to stop feeding you platefuls of hurt feelings, unforgiveness, laziness, self-pity, negative thinking, bad news and worry. You've eaten quite enough at that sorry table and I've wearied of your extra weight weighing me down, making me lopsided on the negative side.

Now it's time to concentrate on feeding the little good twin girl... She's been asking for extra helpings of kindness to strangers, optimism (even in 2006), a peaceful pace resulting from wisdom and the serenity which comes from truly knowing God. It's time that the little good twin girl become the strongest, clearest-speaking of the two. It's time that I pay more attention to what will make her grow.

And it's up to me to feed her the right stuff.


***
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." ... Philippians 4:6-7

No comments: