Saturday, April 22, 2006

Of Changing Seasons


On Thursday a friend emailed me and asked what my favorite Bible verse was.

I love an easy question, don't you?

My favorite verse, or passage, is the one which begins, "To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven..."

What a comfort... What a comfort to know that change is God's idea and God's ideas always have a reason, a purpose. Not one varying, twinkling moment is meaningless to God--each moment means something and adds up to something eternal.

What a challenge... What a challenge to cooperate with God's timing (which usually appears slow, but in reality, is always on time). What a challenge to not make things happen before their perfect God-Time... to not race ahead of Him to try to create a rickety imitation of what would have real and strong with God's presence.

What peace... what peace there is when His agenda, His goals--His seasons-- for me become what I truly want most... and I stop wanting different or better things because I realize there is nothing better.

What joy ... what joy to know I can walk beside God during each season, good and sad, looking up into His eyes and being guided by their light and love, not by all the shifting and changing I see all around me.

Well, don't get me started... Just take my word for it that, for years now, this Bible passage has been my favorite one.


***

Something fun: Saija sent me this link to The Byrds singing their classic song on the Ed Sullivan Show. You can watch it here.

1To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

No comments: