Friday, April 07, 2006

It Was a Dark and Stormy Life...


Outside my windows today there drizzles rain and greyness and dark places in the sky, even stabs of lightning...

...and it comes to me that it was a whole, bloomin' dark and stormy Life those years when I'd lie on my couch and count my problems instead of my blessings and when I'd let someone's hurtful words ruin my whole week...

It was a dark and stormy Life when I'd mope around my house and complain about what we had (or didn't have) and when I was most concerned about how others saw me and my family...

.....and when I'd hesitate to give away money because I feared not having enough... when I'd see people get blessed and feel, not happy for them, but jealous... when my friends wouldn't answer my letters and I'd get mad...

It was a dark and stormy Life when I took baths in disappointment and self-pity and when I thought the goal in life was for everyone to know my name and appreciate me... and worse of all, when I loved just about everybody else more than I loved God--and walked around 24/7 feeling guilty about that.

It was a dark and stormy Life for a long, long time. Inside of me, I mean.

But then, in the across-the-sea horizon, the sun began to rise, creeping up one step at a time and exposing the junk I'd tried to hide, because hey! Aren't you supposed to hide all the bad stuff?

According to the sun..... no.

And now the sun continues to tip-toe farther up into the sky, sweeping away--pushing out and squeezing out-- the dark and stormy Life and its hiding places. And making all things new.

But only when I welcomed the Light, did things begin to change. And that was the hard part... but the vital part, too.

No comments: