Saturday, April 22, 2006
10 Easy Ways to Stop Growing
I am a list kind of person. Lots of times, I think in lists. I hear it comes from being a first-born person in the birth order realm of things.
Anyway, today here is my current list... It's from the voice of experience, trust me (as in, 'been there, done that'):
Guaranteed Ways To Slow Down Your Spiritual Progress
1. Nearly every day, walk around believing God is mad at you. And disappointed in you. And not speaking to you.
2. Learn to live with a sense of guilt and condemnation. Always spin your sins and mistakes around and around in your mind.
3. Always doubt whether you are doing what God wants you to do.
4. Do only what makes sense to your head. Let fear keep you from getting out of the boat and walking on water.
5. Believe you already know all a person can possibly know about both the Bible and God.
6. Pay for your sins by promising God you'll do extra good deeds.
7. Hold a grudge--don't forgive people. Become bitter, not better.
8. Blame God for every bad thing that happens.
9. Believe God is unable to bless others through you. Worry about your gifts, talents and callings so much that you never discover what they are or develop them.
10. Stay too busy to meet with God each day alone.