Thursday, January 26, 2006

When It's No Longer Fun Playing Dumb


Some Christians are bored and disgusted with their lives for one simple reason--the Playing Dumb Game.

Huh?

Trust me... I know about this game because I played it for hmmm... thirty years, I think. And on occasion I still play it (she confesses).

So what are the rules of Playing Dumb? They're easy (that's half the problem.) All you have to do is, when you hear the still, small voice of God within you, just convincingly pretend as though you never heard it at all. Pretend you are deaf.

That's it.

Man, I was good at this game. If there was a video game at the local mall with Playing Dumb, you would see my initials as the high scorer.

I would Play Dumb when the still, small voice would say, "Let that man go ahead of you in line with his groceries."

"Wait! Hold this mall door open for that person a few feet behind you."

"Call _______ right this minute to encourage her."

"Add more money to that check you are writing for the Red Cross."

"Give away your umbrella to that person who is walking toward you without one."

"Offer to babysit _______'s children for free once a week."

"Hang-out with Me, alone, for awhile each day so you can get to know Me better."

"Stop watching this pathetic/sleazy/time-wasting movie even though you paid to see it."

"Offer to help that person find the cereal she's looking for on the store shelves."

"Run and buy a bag of groceries and give them to that homeless man over there."

Add a thousand other similar things to that list and well, more than likely, at least once in my life I have Played Dumb to each request.

Playing Dumb for years gave me just one thing--a boring, lonely-inside life. I mean, where else could it lead considering that, daily, I was showing God I did not want to cooperate with His custom-made plan for my life?

But first steps must be taken because they lead to later steps and to one incredible, exciting life. Oh, not the James Bond or 24 kind of excitement. No, but the kind of excitement which comes only from carrying-out God's specific plans He made just for you at the beginning of Time.


***
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart..." ...Jeremiah 1:5

"For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and not for evil, to give you hope in your final outcome." ... Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: